Friday, June 3, 2011

A little R & R and new bump pics

Last week, Hubby and I headed out of town for our baby moon. The plan was for lots of rest and relaxation, but in a typical fashion for us it turned into lots of randomness and some relaxation.

We've never been the type of couple to take a long vacation and stay in one place. Some of our typical vacations include spending a few days in Bangkok, Thailand spending a few days on the beach in Koi Samui, Thailand then finishing with time in Hong Kong. On another trip we spent a few days in Queensland, New Zealand moved on to Auckland, New Zealand then finished on the beaches in Fiji. Needless to say, when we vacation we like to mix it up. This baby moon was no exception.

We started in Copenhagen, Denmark (my best friend and her husband live there and have a 4 month old baby) then flew to Miami, Florida and finished on the beaches of Sanibel Island, Florida. I was originally hoping we could go back to St. John in the USVI where we got married, but Hubby wanted easier access to medical care in case something happened to the Woowoo or me while we were gone.

After a couple crazy busy weeks leading up to Friday afternoon we were finally packed and ready to go. Unfortunately we waited too long to get a car service and nothing was available. On a Friday afternoon. In the rain. When we each had a suitcase, computer bag and carry-on. We tried to grab a cab with no luck, so our only option was the subway. Me, 6 months preggo and Hubby with most of the luggage. I almost had a full on melt down when no one (I repeat no one) would help me down the subway stairs with my bags. I sometimes wonder what the hell is wrong with people? Do I need to start wearing a sign that says "I'm pregnant, can you please offer to help me?" But I digress...

We eventually made it to the airport, on the plane and arrived safely in Copenhagen. I was really worried about the long flight and my tendency to airplane swelling so I bought compression socks. Yes, the kind your 80-year old grandmother wears. I didn't care, I wanted to keep the cankles to a minimum. The socks, drinking gallons of water and having to get up and pee every hour definitely helped keep the swelling down. We were greeted at the airport by my friend, her husband (who was born and raised in Denmark) and their baby. It was so great to see all of them. This is the fourth time we've visited them in Denmark so we decided to keep things simple and low-key. Having a 6-month preggo and a 4-month old didn't really bode well for lots of touristy activities. We enjoyed lots of good company and good food with them and got to spend some quality time with their little peanut - it was good practice for what's ahead for us.

While the weather was gorgeous in Copenhagen, I was ready for some beach time, so on Tuesday morning Hubby and I headed back to the airport and flew down to Miami, FL. We had no plans other than to sit by the pool or on the beach and relax. Again I had some swelling from the plane ride, but a wonderful pedicure on Wednesday morning cured that:)

We left Miami Thursday morning and drove the 3 hours across the state to the gulf side and arrived at the cutest little resort on Sanibel Island. It was quiet and intimate yet had all the amenities we wanted (pool, beach, chairs, breakfast!!). We immediately threw on the bathing suits and went pool side. It was H-O-T but the pool was great. I could detail each of the remaining days for you, but they all blurred together because they pretty much consisted of breakfast, beach (lots of reading, some ocean time, some napping), lunch, pool, nap, dinner, bed. It was fantastic:)

Unfortunately we had to return to reality and got back home on Sunday afternoon. We had Monday off for Memorial Day, so it was a good day to get caught up on unpacking, laundry, groceries, etc. And then back to work on Tuesday.

The vacation already feels like it was months ago, but I'm so glad were able to take the time together to get away before everything changes (for the better!). Other than a minor reappearance by the fibroid pain while in Miami, it was a fantastic vacation.

My baby shower is in Ohio next weekend and then we're done traveling until the little man makes his appearance. I can't believe how quickly time is flying by!

I've posted a few baby moon/bump pics...enjoy.


4 comments:

  1. You look so cute!! And that vacation sounds amazing. I'm so bummed that we can't take a babymoon because of LG's work schedule. I had my heart set on Bermuda. But we're spending a few extra days in Napa together before my sister's wedding, so that will have to count.

    Love the bump! And you are sooooooo close to THIRD tri!! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog from another blogger. Our due dates seem to be only 2 days apart- I'm 9/12/11 :) I'm having twins so I doubt I'll make it that far though! I'm looking forward to following along with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your vacation was amazing! You look great.
    Have a wonderful shower next week- I hope you and your little man get spoiled rotten :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so fabulous!!! I'm so happy you guys got in this babymoon, sounds so restful and restorative and wonderful and filled with awesome QT time with hubs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete