Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Baby nurse—check!

Up until a year ago I had never heard the term "baby nurse". Or if I had, I just figured it was a woman who worked as a nurse specializing in baby care.

After going through all of my IF treatments and having a few friends have babies in NYC, I became familiar with the more common meaning for a baby nurse—basically someone who comes into your home and stays with you to help take care of your newborn (she probably isn't a certified RN, but might have some certifications and/or formal training).

Even though I knew what a baby nurse was, it's not something I had ever given any thought to. Why would I? All of my friends with kids had done it themselves or with the help of a family member. That's how I was raised and I didn't know any different.

About 3 months into my pregnancy Hubby brought up the topic and told me he thought it would be a good idea to have someone help us at first. I was immediately against it because I felt if I can't take care of this newborn on my own then I'm going to be a failure as a mother (I know, slightly irrational, but I'll blame that on the first trimester hormones).

The more we talked the better the idea sounded, though. I've never cared for a newborn, Hubby barely knows what to do with a 6-month old let alone a slippery, squirmy newborn, and we don't have any family close by to guide us. OK, so I was sold—we would get a baby nurse for the first couple of weeks and then we would be on our own.

I started my research a couple weeks ago, after I finished up the freelance project. I received some recommendations from friends, friends of friends and people in my expectant moms group.

I began the phone calls on Monday morning, and after four phone interviews I found someone I was interested in. On paper (based on the recommendation from her reference) she was everything we were looking for:
• experienced
• recommends putting baby on an eat/sleep schedule from the beginning
• knowledgeable and supportive of breastfeeding
• willing to teach me what she's doing and why she's doing it as opposed to just taking care of the baby
• adaptable to our home and lifestyle
• flexible if we want to extend her stay beyond 2 weeks
• on the lower end of the price range for a NYC baby nurse
• requires a deposit and contract to reserve her time (surprisingly, some of the women weren't interested in this which made me nervous that once the Woowoo comes the baby nurse would have committed to someone else)

Her reference had nothing but great things to say about her so I was sold. I spoke with Y (the baby nurse) yesterday afternoon. She emailed some info and her contract and we agreed to an in-person interview last night. It all happened so quickly my head was spinning and pounding. I literally got a headache from the craziness of how it all went down in the matter of hours.

She came to our apartment at 8pm, but unfortunately Hubby got stuck at a work event and was unable to meet her. Thankfully, I immediately felt comfortable and at ease with her. She was so easy to be around, yet I could tell she was a very strong woman who would help me learn how to care for my new little guy. We chatted for over an hour and half and at the end I signed on the dotted line and gave her a deposit to reserve her for at least two weeks in September.

I'm beyond excited to have found her and relieved to have this taken care of, especially knowing the Woowoo, Hubby and I will be good hands!

4 comments:

  1. It's good to have help, especially if you are a little unsure. I feel fairly confident with my one, but if it were more than one, I'd probably hire the night help for sure since my family is far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think hiring help is a wonderful idea.... if my family was not so close by and so willing to help, I would definitely be looking into hiring someone. Anything to make the first few weeks go smoothly, I say it's worth it. It sounds like she is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of jealous of the baby nurse. But my mom is staying with us for the first week, and she just offered to pay for someone to clean for us for 6 months! Also, finished room pics are up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This'll be the very best investment you ever made!

    ReplyDelete