Thursday, January 6, 2011

Happy birthday

On January 6, 1948 the most amazing woman I've ever known was born - my mom! Today would have been her 63rd birthday. She was taken from me much too soon.

I know I've mentioned it before, but I'm an only child and lost my dad when I was 17, so for almost 13 years it was just my mom and I. Even before that my mom and I were very close. My dad traveled a lot for work, so I didn't see him much during the week. When he would be home on the weekends I spent all my time with him (I was a tomboy!), but during the week I was my mom's little shadow.

Just like most mother-daughter relationships we had our rocky years when I was in high school, but once I got to college I really learned to appreciate my mom for the generous, caring person she was. I remember one time during my senior year in college my mom drove two and half hours to my apartment with a trunk full of Christmas decorations so my roommates and I could decorate. She dropped the stuff off, said hi to my roomies, kissed me good-bye and drove two and half hours back home. That's the type of mother she was - completely selfless.

I can only hope I'll be half the mother she was in the near future. She wanted grandchildren so badly but was content to wait until Hubby and I were ready. When I found out her cancer was back I never imagined she would be gone as quickly as she was (10 days from the time we found out it was back). I actually asked Hubby if we should start trying right then so we could give her a grandchild before she died!

She was (and always will be) a true inspiration to me. Hubby and I finally being pregnant makes me miss her even more, but I know she's been with me every step of the way.

Happy Birthday Mom! I love you and miss you.

5 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you- it is hard to lose your mom. My mother passed away from cancer when I was only 5- and although it was a really long time ago, it still hurts. So I can only imagine the pain you have-. My thought are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you lost your mom, especially with all the emotions in this IF journey. I wish there was something more I can say, but I found this post very touching and a great tribute to your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this was really beautiful. My heart hurts for you with the loss of your Dad, and then your Mom so suddenly. I can't even imagine all of the new emotions it has conjured after your amazing news. Beautiful post my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a loving tribute to your mom. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. My heart feels heavy for you, but I'm so happy that you have such an awesome guardian for your baby. I hope you're getting along well and hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to wish you lots of luck on your ultrasound today. Sending lots of good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete