Thursday, November 18, 2010

Playing the "what if" game

I received an email from a former colleague yesterday asking if I wanted to come work for him. It came out of nowhere, but after talking with him for a while last night it sounds like a very intriguing opportunity except for one thing — the commute. I'm fortunate now and live and work in Manhattan. My commute is about 25 minutes door-to-door. This new job opportunity would be in New Jersey. If I had a car that wouldn't be an issue, but the price of parking and insurance in Manhattan have kept hubby and I carless for the last three years.

There are ways to get to the *potential* new office via public transportation, but it wouldn't be easy or convenient, not to mention it would take well over an hour. Two years ago this wouldn't have been a concern, but now that we're trying to start a family it's a big concern.

Last night hubby and I played our favorite game of "what if." I used to be the only player in this game, but hubby is right there with me these days.
• What if I took the new job and got pregnant? FMLA requires you be employed for 12 months before you're covered.
• What if the new health insurance doesn't cover the Doc and his fabulous fertility practice?
• What if I am back at work after having the baby and the bus/trains aren't running on time and the nanny needs to leave?
• What if the baby is sick and I need to get home quickly?
• What if, what if, what if...

It's amazing how much I plan things for the future around something I have absolutely no control over. Needless to say, I have a lot to think about this weekend (I see a pro/con list in my future)!

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled by your blog and wanted to drop a quick note to say hello.

    I am with you on the commute...it's such a life changer. I had a car in Manhattan for the first year I lived there, but finally couldn't take it anymore. It was such a relief when I finally got rid of it. Of course I had a rude awakening when I moved upstate and they actually expected me to drive places instead of take a taxi or subway. :)

    I have recently decided that a lot of my disappointment with infertility is the fact that I have to put off so many things that I enjoy or want to do (food, jobs, alcohol, living in Manhattan, etc.) just in case we get pregnant. I am making an effort now to try to add as much of that back in as possible because it's just too hard to live my life based on something that I hope will happen.

    Good luck and keep us posted once you decide what you're going to do about the job.

    ReplyDelete