Sunday, December 26, 2010

A very Merry Christmas

I've been celebrating Christmas with my husband and his family for over 10 years. During that time there have been enough moments for them to have earned the nickname "The Griswolds" (for those of you not familiar, do a quick search for National Lampoons Vacation and you'll see what I'm talking about). I'm happy to report this year has been a Griswold-free holiday. At least so far. We still have the big extended family gathering this afternoon so there is time for a fridge to stop working, a microwave to catch on fire or a casserole to explode (and yes, all of those things have happened in the past!).

We woke up on Christmas morning, ate breakfast and started the multi-hour present-opening ritual. We were all very spoiled! Once all the present madness was cleaned up we sat down for dinner. I had my cell phone with me because I was waiting for a call from my best friend in Europe. As we were finishing dinner I got a text from one of my college roommates telling me she was 9 weeks pregnant with baby #2. I didn't mean to, but I blurted out fuck and slammed my phone down on the table. I'm really happy for her, but I was having such a good Christmas Day and wasn't even thinking about the baby that I thought I would have had already, and this basically slapped me in the face with the reality of my IF struggles. Fortunately everyone at the table was aware (at least on a high level) of what Hubby and I have been going through so I didn't have to explain my little outburst.

I proceeded to make myself feel better with a few Christmas cookies and a piece of pumpkin pie. It worked! I went to bed with a full belly and feeling comforted to have such wonderful in-laws to spend Christmas with. Of course, I still feel sleep with thoughts of a bouncing baby on my lap next Christmas...

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for doing a little self soothing with cookies and pie.. :) I'm sorry reality hit that way...don't ya hate that! Sounds like you had a great day otherwise. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete