Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The birth plan

I have an appointment with my doctor this Friday - one day shy of 36 weeks. It will be another growth scan and the usual blood pressure, pee in a cup, weight thing, but they will most likely do an internal exam as well. Primarily to make sure there isn't a fibroid blocking the Woowoos exit route (they don't think there is, but want to be sure).

I've put together a birth plan that I want to review with the doc at this point, as well. Hubby and I took the childbirth classes at the hospital and I know my doctor's (and the practice in general) philosophies on labor, but I want to discuss MY specifics with him.

Every woman has the right to have the birth she wants, and I make no judgments on anyone's choices when it comes to their own birth...so please don't make any judgments about my choices here (just wanted to throw that out there since I've gotten some comments along the lines of "you're crazy for not wanting an epidural!" or "why don't you just schedule a c-section, it'll be easier").

In a nutshell, below are the basics of how I'd prefer this birth goes, of course this is assuming the Woowoo plays along:
• no IV, but a hep lock instead
• be allowed to move freely as long as labor is progressing without any issues
• be allowed to drink clear liquids (other than water) and eat if I want (not sure they'll go for this one)
• only want an epidural if I ask for it
• if I choose to get an epidural, be allowed to labor down before pushing
• want Hubby to cut the cord
• want baby to be given to me immediately after birth (for skin-to-skin contact)
• want exclusive breastfeeding
• want baby to room-in with me

Those are the basics, I'll get into more detail about some of the items with Dr. B., but I'm most concerned about having the freedom to move around. If I'm going to try and have a natural birth, I know I'm going to want to have the freedom to change positions frequently to handle the pain of the contractions.

Ultimately, I want a safe birth for the Woowoo and me. I've come to terms with the fact that anything can happen, so I'm trying to keep an open mind and be flexible. We'll see how it goes...

In the meantime, I'm continuing to waddle my way around to and from work and putting the final touches on the nursery. Hubby and I are heading out of town for a couple days this weekend to enjoy some R&R with his family at the beach. I'm not sure a 36-week pregnant woman should be allowed on the beach, but I plan to keep myself sufficiently covered so I don't scare small children!

I'll update and post belly pics after the Friday doc appointment.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for 36 weeks! I'm amazed-- I know it's coming up soon for me, too, but it feels so, so PREGNANT!

    Please update on how the docs respond to your requests. I feel similarly about a lot of these things (especially the moving around part), so I want to know what's realistic. I already know they said it was okay to go epidural free for as long as I want. I asked that a few weeks ago.

    Good luck! You could potentially have Woowoo in your arms by the time I make my way back east! After all the babies are here, we should definitely have a Fairytale/Sienna/Sloper meet up with the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can knock one thing off the list - they will definitely let hubby cut the cord. My priorities went out the door once I realized that I had less than 24 hrs to give birth if I wanted bender to be the doc delivering us. Kinda ridic but I had a great experience so no regrets. Curious to know how your convo goes with bender!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rock on!! In our birthin' class, they made a big point of saying that you can definitely be up and moving around - especially if you're not on an epidural. Moving around helps labor progress and helps us cope with it.

    Can't wait to hear how it goes w/ the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your discussion goes well with your doctor.
    Have a wonderful little get-a-way, it's probably the last one with just the 2 of you :) (at least for awhile)
    I truly hope that when the time comes you have the birth experience that you want! Best of luck.... gosh its so close!

    ReplyDelete