Monday, July 25, 2011

Heat = An unhappy preggo

I know almost the entire country has been hit by the crazy heat wave the past week, but Oh My God!!! It's been extra miserable in NYC because of all the pavement (we topped out at 104 humid degrees on Friday). I never thought 85 degrees would feel cool until I walked out the door this morning.

I worked from home Friday so I wouldn't have to descend into the bowels of hell (aka, the NYC subway system) to get to the office. I never left the apartment and was perfectly OK with that, until our refrigerator decided it was done with the heat as well. The freezer is working fine, but the fridge has crapped out on us. During a heat wave. In the middle of July. When all an 8-month pregnant woman wants is a cold glass of chocolate milk. The repairman is coming tomorrow afternoon, but until then...ugh!

I had another meltdown on Saturday morning, and I contribute it equally to the heat and the hormones. I was getting ready to leave for yoga and Hubby was reading the newspaper on his computer in bed. I climbed on the edge of the bed to lay with him for a few minutes before I had to leave and the force of my gigantic body/belly caused his laptop to slip off and almost hit the floor.

I lost it and started crying over the fact that I'm constantly hot and I'm huge - to the point that I'm making computers fall off beds! I feel fat, even though most of it is baby, and I'm sticky all the time. I just can't cool down enough. Even if I weren't pregnant, I would feel fat and swollen from the heat. Thankfully Hubby let me cry for a few minutes, hugged me and told me how cute my belly was. He suggested I skip yoga, but that was the one thing I knew would bring me back to reality and calm me down a little - and it did. Well, it calmed me down, it definitely did not cool me down!

I tried to stay inside the rest of the weekend, or at least kept my ventures out to places within the neighborhood. It's frustrating, because I really do love being outside, but right now I care more about being as comfortable as possible than I do about enjoying the outdoors.

Despite all my complaining, I am so grateful to have my little Woowoo flipping around in my belly. And he can stay in there a few more weeks (even in this heat) if it means he'll come out big, strong and healthy (well maybe not TOO big) :)

5 comments:

  1. This heat is crazy! We've been housebound too but at least the baby is on the outside. Here's to hoping today's weather sticks for awhile. Sorry about the end of pregnancy hormones, those have got to be tough in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I feel you. We decided to run some errands in the Village on Saturday evening-- 6 pm walking down Houston Street and I felt like I was in the middle of a rump roast it was so damn hot and crowded. And subwaying it up to the UES on Friday for our appointment? So brutal.

    I'm sure you look adorable and I can't wait to meet you tomorrow on a cooler, nicer day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We recently moved from Arizona to Oregon.... and there is not a day that goes by when I am so thankful for temperatures in the 70's-80's, compared to the 100's! If we hadn't moved, I do not think I would leave my house until I was ready to deliver. Hopefully its cooled down for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya on the heat. I was in the city all day last Friday and was DYING. I was back yesterday for work and ended up walking the High Line for a hour once it cooled off. It reminded me of everything I love about NYC. It was the first time I told my husband I was actually considing not getting on the train to come back to Albany (his greatest fear I think). :)

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in San Diego, and luckily for us it hasn't gotten above the mid to high 80's, but it still feels so very hot to me! I can't imagine it being 104! Keep cool!
    I think all of us preggos should write a book about the silly things that caused meltdowns!

    ReplyDelete