Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An unexpected doctor's visit

I got to see my sweet boy again yesterday morning...unscheduled.

Over the weekend I had some general discomfort/pressure in my lower abdominal region, mostly on my right side. I didn't really think much of it and figured it was just more growing pains. I woke up for work Monday morning and all hell broke loose. I was in the shower doubled over in pain that was sharp, stabby and then would turn to constant and achy. Regardless of the type of pain, it was pain! Pain to the point I could barely walk.

I finished my shower, toweled off and hobbled into the bedroom where Hubby was just waking up. He sat bolt upright when he saw my face and I broke down in tears and simply said "I don't feel well." He was very calm and reassuring and asked what hurt, if I was spotting, and if I'd felt the baby. Thank God for his calm reaction. I was a basket case and on the brink of total meltdown at that point. He gently pointed out that it might be the fibriods causing the problems. I was so worried it was the Woowoo it never crossed my mind that it might be fibriods.

Anyway, I calmed down, got dressed and settled into the couch to wait for the docs office to open. As soon as I reached them I spoke to the midwife, told her what the problems were and she scheduled me to go in for a visit. One of the benefits of living 6 blocks from your OB/GYN is the ability to go in immediately. Within an hour I was explaining my symptoms to Dr. G (who I met for the first time and LOVED!). The first thing she did was have me lie back and turned on the sound on the ultrasound machine. I heard the tiny heartbeat and immediately started crying. I can usually keep it together better than that, but I was so scared for my Woowoo that I couldn't have controlled my emotions if I tried. She was so comforting and told me he looked great. He was kicking up a storm in my belly. Never in my life have those little kicks been so welcome!

After a lot of painful probing, prodding and poking Dr G. felt the pain was coming from one of the fibroids in the lower right area of my abdomen. But, she didn't rule out appendicitis. She consulted with Dr. R. and he agreed that it was most likely the fibroid. She gave me a pain medicine prescription (not harmful to the baby) and scheduled a follow-up for Thursday morning.

I went home mentally and emotionally exhausted, ate lunch, took my pain med and slept the rest of the afternoon. I'm back at work today, but still in quite a bit of pain. Somehow I'm able to deal with the pain knowing my sweet baby is OK and not at all affected by my fibroid. In fact, he's so unfazed by it that he keeps kicking me in that area!

I will say I am so, so thankful to be under the care of the doctors at my practice. They put me totally at ease and knew my biggest concern was making sure the baby was OK. It's nice to know I have doctors who care and "get it".

Now, if only the pain would go away...

2 comments:

  1. what a scare!! soo glad that the baby is a-okay and that they got you in quickly!! i know how draining these "scares" can be, and just glad that you're feeling a tad bit better for now. i'm sure the pain will go away for good soon? try to take it easy. you're in good hands :o) xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary!! I'm soooo glad everything is okay. And I'm glad you got to meet Dr. G-- she's awesome, isn't she? I wish she delivered.

    Hang in there and rest up. You and Woowoo will be okay!

    ReplyDelete