Wednesday, April 6, 2011

There really is a baby in my belly

I've had three co-workers come up to me and say "oh, now I can see that you're pregnant!". Hmmm, how should I take that statement? My typical response is "yep, there really is a baby in my belly." I know they mean well, but I think that's an odd thing to say. My initial thought it to take it as a criticism that I'm not as big as I should be at this stage.

This is my first baby, I'm tall (5'8"), fairly thin and still working out regularly, so I've only recently popped (and I still feel like it's too early for me to "pop"...I'm 17w4d). I keep reminding myself that as long as my doctor says the baby is fine and growing the way he should, I don't need to worry about other people's perceptions of my belly and pregnancy in general. Easier said than done...

I'm probably being overly sensitive about this, but my emotions seem to be on a roller coaster lately and I have no clue whose doing the driving because I'm definitely not. Anyway, I'm going to make my blog photo debut and post a bump pic from last week when I was 16w3d. I'd say the "popping" has occurred over the weekend so I look bigger now than I did in this pic.

Regardless of peoples comments and my reactions to them, I'm falling more and more in love with  Woowoo everyday:)

8 comments:

  1. People say the damdest things. If the people around you are anything like those around me, you'll go from "are you sure there's a baby in there?" to "holy WOW, that, uh, baby is getting huge" in about three nanoseconds. No happy medium, no "you look absolutely PERFECT!" (I don't know why THAT'S so hard to say...)

    Anyway, I think you look GREAT!

    Also, where did you get that shirt? I'm tall, too, and have a hard time finding sleeves that are long enough. But that shirt looks like the sleeves are plenty long... I think I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't told anyone from work, and I know I am starting to show. Instead, I am getting weird looks from coworkers. I bet they think I am just putting on a belly full of beer. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so cute! I'm glad you are accepting there is definitely a baby in there. I'm having the opposite problem--I feel like I've gained too much and am showing too soon. Even though it's not "belly," just yucky flab. But all the docs I've seen at our practice said I'm totally fine and on track and I don't need to worry. So let's go with genuine medical advice and leave the peanut gallery out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look awesome!!! This irked me quite a bit, too....people always told me how "small" my belly was for twins. I couldn't help but stress, but you are so right: You're DOCTOR is the one who's opinion on your size matters, not randos at work. Plus, my doc said that athletic and tall women tend to show less, especially if they have strong abs/flat stomachs going into pregnancy (makes the muscles less lax and prone to stretching out until later on). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pic!! my boss, who is due 5 days before me looked tiny in comparison to me the first 6 months. once we hit month 7, her belly totally overtook mine and now she's much bigger than me. i grew early and have stabilized of late, and she was the opposite. so no worries if you think you're on the smaller side. for now!! bc you never know the end result! hope the weather around here warms up soon so that you can show off that bellay without a bulking winter coat! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look perfectly normal for 16 weeks !!! N with being tall, you have more room to "stretch" that belly out.... Don't stress... It's F-I-N-E !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look super cute in your pic. As long as the doc thinks everything is fine then I say ignore everyone's comments and assume everything is fine! Can't wait to see more pics as that belly grow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for super cute belly pic! Looks perfect to me :)

    ReplyDelete