Sunday, January 22, 2012

I'm a working momma

I survived my first week of work, with minimal tears!

I've mentioned that I quit my job in December to freelance and give me a more flexible schedule. I was able to work out a situation with another company so that I'm working three days a week (Wed-Fri), but am available Monday and Tuesday for conference calls or some minimal work from home. In addition, I've told my former company I'm still interested in taking on some projects from them. Well, they took me up on that offer and asked me to work onsite last Tuesday. That meant I worked Tues-Fri last week...away from Will. Nothing like getting thrown into the fire right from the start.

Monday night was tough. I was snippy with Hubby and generally in a bad mood. Once I had a good cry about leaving Will I felt a little better. I completely trust the nanny we hired for Will and know this is for the best, but at the time I felt like I was failing my son by leaving him in someone else's care. I'm still torn about being away from him during the day, but he's proven that he'll be OK. In fact, he had a great week with good naps, a couple play dates and a music class.

Things were a little slow at the new job, but I had enough to do to keep me distracted from thinking about Will. I was definitely anxious to get home each night so I could spend a half hour or so with him before bath time. He was all smiles when I walked in the door, which of course melted my heart. My sweet boy missed me!

I know how lucky I am to have been able to work out this flexible schedule, so I'm going to do everything in my power to make it work.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you have such a flexible work schedule. Isn't one of the best parts of the day coming home to your smiley baby?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your first week of work went well- working and being a mom is hard.
    My first week back at work, I cried all the way there and probably called my hubby 10 times the first night. (I work night shift)
    It sounds like you have an awesome flexible schedule - I hope it continues to go well for you.

    ReplyDelete