Sunday, October 9, 2011

7 weeks...where has the time gone?

Despite my lack of posting I'm still here, but can't believe Will is 7 weeks old today. I have no clue where the time has gone. I seem to be busy all the time but really can't pinpoint what I've done other than feed, change and cuddle my little guy.

He's growing and changing like crazy. By my estimation (and crappy digital home scale), he weighs a little over 10lbs now. He's outgrown most of his newborn clothes and almost fits into the 3 month clothes. He's definitely longer than he is wide, but he has the cutest pudgy thighs.

We're working on getting him down to one feeding at night. He typically sleeps from 8:30pm-8am with two feeds. Hubby does one feed and I do the other. If we can get him down to one feed I think it will mean more sleep for all of us. We're getting close...

The past couple of days he's given me some real smiles. Not gas smiles or fake smiles, but real gummy, toothless smiles. I get them the most in the morning after I nurse him. Sometimes he'll hiccup and think its funny so he'll let out a little squeal and smile so big I can't help but smile right back at him. It melts my heart every time.

The breastfeeding is the same story, different day. I nurse him in the morning and pump during the day. He's still getting 10-12oz of breast milk a day and the rest formula. I'm probably going to start weaning in early November. Honestly, I never I thought I would make it that long given my low supply so I'm ecstatic he'll be getting breast milk for over 2 months. But the guilt? Yeah, it's still there. Now it's guilt over wanting to stop when we seem to be in a routine that works. It's the pumping that is purely exhausting to me. I need to figure out a way to be 100% ok with weaning before I do it. I don't want any regrets.

This motherhood thing is still really hard. It's very monotonous and often really lonely and isolating, despite my best efforts to get out of the apartment every day and meet some other new moms. I know it will get better, but these early weeks are much more of a challenge than I expected. Maybe I need to try and blog a little more consistently...at least this gives me a place to vent without sounding like a horrible mother!

To end on a bright note, here is a recent picture of Will making his fish-face at me.

5 comments:

  1. I am so curious to know how you manage to get him to sleep for 12 hours with two feedings? If you have the time or energy, I;d love to read a post from you on how this works. My bebe is waking every 2 hours (I know he is barely 3 weeks, but I need to start preparing for when I go back to work)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to vent here! Even though you got your fairy tale ending (you need to change your header!), that doesn't mean some shite just isn't plain hard. Love that you're getting some giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! Glad for the update! When did he start finding the overnight routine? I think we are starting to get one but it's taking time... I hear ya on the isolating loneliness. It's hard sometimes, fo sho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- that is awesome that he is almost sleeping through the night. After his night feeding does he just fall back asleep?
    I hear you about the pumping- it is so darn hard. I am pretty much exclusively pumping, and I hate it. Pumping 8 times a day is not fun.
    The picture of your little guy is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie pie! I'm loving the first real smiles too- amazing!

    ReplyDelete